Monday 27 March 2017

Imperfection is cute


Yes, you guessed it right, I am going to talk about cute little kids. Today I attended annual day at my son’s school and don’t know why I was quite teary eyed from the first performance. This is my second year and I thought I will not be overwhelmed, but here I am again. Next year, I will surely get a box of tissues.

So, it started with my son’s playgroup annual day. Those who have kids, this may sound familiar. First year in school, attendance is erratic, cold and fever are more consistent. So my son missed two weeks of dance practice and dressed rehearsal. So my mature mind told me not to send him for stage performance. Obviously, he missed the practice, he won’t be able to perform. So I thought of informing his teacher. But what she said was a pleasant surprise. She said just send him for final dance, give him opportunity to perform. They need not be perfect.

So here comes annual day, we spend 2 hrs. of time calming a toddler who did not want to wear a red shiny shirt and black silk pants. We bribed him in every way, like you wear this new dress and we can go to birthday party, you will get a cake. Nothing worked. He chose the most faded dress to wear and was ready to go to a park to play. We reached the venue, and was embarrassed to see a lady who dressed up her twins, all by herself. I had an army at home, who failed to dress a two and half year old kid. I avoid looking at mothers who have dressed up too, and were looking pretty. I did not need to paint my face, it was already pink with shame. Finally I accept the defeat and handover my son to his teacher along with shiny dress.

After that tiring dressing up session, I gave up on any hopes on performance. I settled in my seat and in no time I was enjoying the performances. My eyes filled up with joy. Those small wonders enjoyed themselves on the stage, they forgot steps, and they were not in sync. All that they did is just watch each other, copy the steps but never gave up. Even if they stopped, it was simple, pick up again and start dancing. There was a dance step where they needed a partner, they turned and made pairs. But two at both ends were left alone, teachers quickly stepped up, joined them as partners and left the floor as soon as that step was over.

There were small skits where they forgot dialogues, or visual behind was not synchronized or mike did not work. Little children promptly offered to help each other. They offered their mike, they fixed it for each other. They prompted dialogues to them. These may sound small gestures, but these are heartwarming.

In fact, I thought I will go there, just cheer my kid and come back. But no, it is much more than that. Yes my son performed too, how well? Honestly it didn’t matter. No, I am not making an excuse. I do believe it now, what matters to me is my son is surrounded by people who want him to join the dance, whether he dances well or not. I feel anyone who gets such a company is blessed.

Don’t we all grown-ups miss this? Remember a friends group where your success or failure doesn’t matter. That first team, who still pull your leg for a mistake you made while writing a program, but they worked on fixing it whole night. I still remember the one where I made a presentation nervously, and finished it in no time. My friends didn’t even realize that I presented two different applications. And that one incident is stuck with me, every gathering it is recited, just in case anyone has forgotten the minute details. But what nobody knows is same friends worked hard to help me improve on my presentation skills and confidence.

So today again, it was same day and same situation. My son missed all the practice, and we still went ahead to attend his annual function. With one difference, we did not even try to dress him up at home, two hours saved. It’s a mighty hard job to handle one toddler. I admire how all the teachers, work hard with every kid, and still are not at all grumpy when kids are not perfect. But I request them to be just that, coz we all have seen many perfect performances and never been this moved. They are truly nurturing kids to be happy and not to be perfect. Thank you teachers, for teaching us, imperfections are cute. Perfection do not lead to happiness.
These annual day gathering are like a visit to a fantasy land, where I would have rather loved to live all my life. But it was not to happen, and I am back to my world, where I will produce a report today to show how every defect was not because of me or my team, and in doing that I will make sure to pass the blame on every possible living creature, or may be even God. And of course I will summarize this to highlight, how perfect we are.


Sadly I will have to live in this perfect world till school invites me again. Let’s pray, May God bless us with a world full of imperfect creatures.

'I am taking My Alexa rank to the next level with Blogchatter' 

12 comments:

  1. loved this.. could relate to my experience with my 2 kids and their annual concerts over the years and me crying with every performance, even when they just stood there on stage in bewilderment... i was one proud mom when they just stood there... today they both perform on stage and that only gives me more reasons to cry.. :D ....

    about us - we just cant be like kids .. we were when we joined the playgroup of IT world.. but slowly ( & painfully) have grown into these "way too judgmental" professionals... we are sitting there like vultures to eat our colleagues when they make a single mistake; thinking their mistake as our big win to grow...

    is there a way to go back to being kids - thankfully yes..! pick a hobby you love with a neutral, non-judgmental group.. where no one knows where you come from... what your qualifications are.. what your achievements are.. you are a learner just like them.. making mistakes, laughing on your mistakes together, holding each other's hand and pushing each other to do well... i found my solace in dance... i have 2 left feet i must tell.. but then no one is judging me... so go find your group of kids & make mistakes boldly & happily ...ekdam bindaas...! :)

    oops! looks like i wrote a blog as a response... lots of love...:-*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and posting long and heartfelt response. And now we are two crying buddies.

      Delete
  2. Beautifully written Varsha. Every parent experience this. Wish to be among the imperfectionist

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminded me my daughter’s first annual gathering this year. I can totally relate to what you have gone through. You have given perfect title to this blog “Imperfection is cute”. It actually does’t matter how they performed. For us it was the BEST!! And a sincere thanks to all the teacher who patience and perseverance gets the best out of our kids.
    Very well written Varsha!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely written Varsha ..could relate to the emotions ..enjoyed reading it ..do keep writing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very sweet post. Reminds me of my son's sport's day performance. No matter how little kids perform, it's always proud to see them try. Such feel good moments. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow,Thanks Tarang, so nice of you to read and comment.

      Delete
  6. Varsha although I don't have kids, but your blog took me to my childhood memories. Feels like calling and speaking to my mum. Well done girl.

    ReplyDelete