Friday 29 September 2017

Mind the Gap


Today I am repetitively reminded of this simple announcement I have heard in tubes in England, Mind the Gap. Honestly, I didn’t notice it, why would I, I was 23, young and careless. But my mother took notice of it promptly and she was quite impressed.  She was touched by the gesture, look how much they care. In past, she had almost slipped in such gaps.  She understood the consequences. At 33, I was able to appreciate it too.

But today again we lost 22 lives in a stampede at the local train station. My respect for that simple gesture has increased manifold. The fact that in some parts of the world people care so much about human life. My mom was impressed because she had may be seen how ignorant we are, or may I say cruel when it comes to human life. We just don’t care, it doesn’t matter.  

Let me confess something today, I call myself an avid reader, but I avoid reading the newspaper. The same girl who once took hours to replace old newspapers in her wardrobe. I mean I had to read the old one and then the new one before I started arranging my clothes on top of it. For last few years I just avoid the newspaper, for one simple reason. I am scared to read the front page news. My heart bleeds to see so many people dying or being killed due to sheer negligence.

In recent times we have seen floods, train accidents, stampedes and so on. I am not even counting the road accidents, and rape victims. Well, generations have changed and governments have changed. But why nothing has changed when it comes to our mindset.  

Yes, we are to be blamed too. Yes, let’s just blame us for putting up with this. In developed countries, people do not allow the administration to take them for granted. Whereas in India if there is a gap in the service, we are asked to adjust. Some of us don’t adjust and complain, are called snooty, stubborn, brat and in some cases anti-national.


But enough is enough, we should not have any cracks in the administration. I am no person with the courage of Bhagat Singh, but as a mother have a strength to at least raise my voice for the safer country for our children. Let us all unite and mind the gap.

I am taking My Alexa Rank to the next level with #MyFriendAlexa on Blogchatter.

My current Alexa ranking in India is 241,480, global 7196,470.

6 comments:

  1. Your post mirrors the current scenario so well.
    As rightly said, lets start the change from ourselves. Lets not take anything lying low...
    A very thought provoking post.
    - Anagha from Team MocktailMommies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anagha. I was holding this post it seems for long, but couldn't do it anymore.

      Delete
  2. well said. it is a shame how careless we are with human lives- people leaving manholes open, 100 feet deep borewells left unattended, unmanned railway crossings, all the work being done on the roads without warning lights, and to the extent of people putting there flowerpots and planters on the window sills where they can topple down and kill passers by, and people merrily speeding on bikes without helmets... we are careless with our own lives as well as with that of others.

    ReplyDelete